Course Project Stage 1: deciding which software

Introduction
I have finally entering the final stages of SPO600. At this point we (students) are to decide on a software to study upon as the final project of this course.

To my understanding, this project consist of three stages:
-Fine an open source software (ie. codec) and benchmark its performance on both Aarch64 and x86_64
-Identify the area of poor performance on the software and methods for improvement on both Aarch64 and x86_64
-Dive into the identified area and identify what approaches we have for improvement. Demonstrate on both Aarch64 and x86_64

Deciding on the software
After many days of reading..... to be honest I still haven't fully grasp on the detailed procedures of what I have to do. I believe I lack the knowledge to execute all the task required. Since I don't feel confidence in my ability to completing the project, I believe its best to pick a software which I believe I understands. In this case, I decided on one of the file compression software.

(after many coin flips.......)

After careful considerations. the FREE general-purpose data compression software of XZ Utils became my final choice.
https://tukaani.org/xz/

My reason for picking XZ Utils
Data compression software are easy to understand (in my opinion), thus this would decrease my amount of "lack-of-understanding" for the final project.

I also found another past classmate of this course also use XZ Utils as their final project software. Since I lost the ability to meet with the Professor face to face because of the Corona virus, this would be a GREAT help/guide for me to learn AND progress on time with the project.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Course Project Stage 2 Introduction

Lab 01: Code Review

Return from MIA